Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Nuts

I have always loved light weight bikes with a high power to weight ratio. My first motorcycle was an Aprilia RS50 it was a good bike and is still fun to ride. The motor has a lot of potential but it is shoved into a 250lb bike and IMO this "excess" weight really holds it back. The bikes top speed is around 75mph with the current gearing. I think that if I pull 100lbs out of the total bike weight and lower the gearing I can still obtain a good top speed wail drastically improving the take off.

Best way I can think of doing this is to shove the motor into a moped frame. The perfect candidate for this IMO is a Magnum. Since I already have one I'll use it.

So far the build looks like this:
  • Puch magnum frame, tank and seat (modified), and the various plastic pieces (trunk, side pods)wheels
  • Aprilia RS50 motor - 6 speed manual, kitted to 70cc with a 21mm phbg, aftermarket crank, clutch, pipe
  • Disk breaks front and rear
  • Mono shock rear suspension

That's the basics there are a lot of little details that need to be addressed for all of this stuff to work together.
I will get into more details throughout the build. I plan on making everything that I possibly can on this bike. I have access to a machine shop to make the parts I need. I also have access to two very talented welders who put anything made of steel or aluminum together.


The list of mini projects is long to incorporate all the stuff I want to into the final product. I don't plan on ever building something as complex as this again so every toy and tweak I can make will be made. Right now there is no set time table on the completed bike, I would like to have it ready before the creature rally next year, but hope it will be done before then.

The bike will no longer be considered a moped (by the law or my peers) and I can live with that. The original owner of the magnum was a stickler for details and preferred pegs to pedals, so he went out and registered it as a motorcycle. Supposedly it is still out on the system as Non-op. I hope that I can make this bike legal.

No comments: