Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Intake

So the stock intake comes off the case and points towards the rear wheel. The magnum frame gets in the way of this style of mounting. I could just space the motor so the carb would fit, but I think that would put the motor way to low. Plan b is to build a new intake. I had an extra intake for the motor that I will use for the base plate since the mount holes are already matched up. Thankfully the intake is also set up to mount to a PHBG so I chopped the thing in two and will add a block of metal in between the pieces. This will put the carb off to the left side of the motor.

On Monday I cut the intake and ran the end mill cutter over it to make sure that the intake plate is flat. I also turned the carb mount down to size.




















Tonight I cut the block portion of the intake down to size on the band saw. Then I squared up all 6 sides on the vertical mill. After that I marked points on the top and the face for a 13/16 drill bit to cut a 90° passage through the block. I will probably end up chamfering all the corners to 45° just so it dose not look like a plane block.






Here are all three pieces almost ready to be welded together. I still need to taper the profile of the 13/16 hole into a rectangle to match the intake base. I think that I can take care of that on with a dremel.


No comments: