Thursday, December 13, 2007

Motor Mount

This is currently my main focus. It is the main component of the bike since everything else is centered around it. I was going to use plate steel and have Brian weld the shit together, I talked it through with him and he suggested square tube stock. I looked into it and everything came together perfectly. The withe of the motor mounts is 3.1" and I found some 3/16" thick 3 1/2 inch square tube. That means that the Inside diameter of the tube is like 3.15" the motor just barley fits in SCORE! 

I took the foot long piece of tube to machine shop class and cut out about 7" on one of the 4 walls. This gives me a place for the rear 2 mounts to attach to. no I need to cut some reliefs to accommodate the round section on the rear of the motor. 

Next step is to cut 3/16 of an inch of either side of the motor mounts on the case. Then I need to make some shims that will allow me to shift the motor left or right to make sure the chain line (path between the front and rear sprockets is perfect). 



No comments: